homestead - Re: [Homestead] FAQ's Bermuda Grasses

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] FAQ's Bermuda Grasses
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:26:08 -0700

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

Sheep will eat a lot of those 'weeds'. Maybe the trick is to have your
main grazing season in the winter. You have mild temperatures and your
rainfall is in the winter; makes sense to graze when stuff is growing.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm

Winter gardening's lots of fun here. I really lucked out. It's frosty enough for cherries to get their chill hours, and mild enough for parsnips, Chinese peas and fava beans to grow all winter. Brassicas are popular, but they usually start in summer and finish in winter. This year I really want to experiment with the Austrian field pea. It's said to be perfectly edible.

Bill
S. Oregon coast