homestead - Re: [Homestead] FAQ's Bermuda Grasses

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] FAQ's Bermuda Grasses
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:53:01 -0400

Bill Jones wrote:

So everything will be all right, and my productivity won't decline,
if only the _grasses_ turn brown and stop growing?

Most pasture weeds will survive two months of drought. Sometimes my
pasture would be so brown I thought the sheep were eating rocks. But
there were weeds/forage plants out there that sustained them and I had
healthy sheep without ever really tossing feed/grain to them. I NEVER
hayed them. They wouldn't really even eat what I tried to feed-only my
ram knew what a feed bucket was, and that's because he was born on
another farm.
As for productivity, that's relative. No, neither your productivity or
mine would rival some lamb outfits in New Zealand, but for homestead
purposes, I had good lambs and healthy ewes. They may have had some
lean times, but I suppose they had put on enough fat in the good times
to see them through, as that's the way nature works.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky