homestead - [Homestead] (no subject)

  • From: "Karen L. Black" <karen AT plamondon.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:01:48 -0700

Wendy writes:

Unfortunately, HP has always been just as bad. No QA at all. It is cheaper
to replace bad units then to test them in the first place. Hewlett made
top-notch equipment. Packard Bell was the worst equipment on earth. In
fact, they were made from other companies rejected boards (honest). No two
were alike inside. When Hewlett and Packard Bell merged, their equipment
wound up somewhere in the middle. Not scrap, but not good either. I have
even gotten some HP equipment with circuit cards missing and cables laying
in the case without even their connectors installed. Very obvious that
those units were never even turned on. HP printers, cameras, etc. are all
the same way. Don't buy one. Compaq was the cheapie first home computer
when PC's were very expensive. When HP bought Compaq nothing much changed
but the price and they gained HP's wonderful QA policies.

I don't believe Hewlett-Packard ever owned any part of Packard-Bell. The
latter was started in the 30's as a radio manufacturer, and later became a
electronics brand name for Teledyne. In 1986, the name was bought and
applied to cheap computers sold in retail electronics stores like Sears.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard_Bell)

Karen Black
Blodgett, OR