homestead - Re: [Homestead] A balanced diet?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A balanced diet?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:13:14 -0500

Are they able to crack acorns, Gene? I was surprised to see my geese
crunching down on apples, when their beaks look so blunt and tender.
I've heard storied about birds dropping nuts from a great height to
break them.

The most biologically and botanically diverse region of the nation, the Ozarks has many oak species. Acorns are a prime food for many birds including wild turkeys but also for nut eaters as small as quail. This year's crop is the heaviest I have seen.

All of us who have been bitten by geese can attest to the strength of their beaks.