homestead - [Homestead] I found it!

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] I found it!
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:02:01 -0400

Here's the article that was in the paper.
http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?pnpid=722&show=archivedetails&ArchiveID=1221522&om=1

http://tinyurl.com/sr7x2

At least the link is working for me now.....

Annual Star Party is this weekend
10/17/06

The Northwest Georgia Astronomical Association has scheduled its annual Star Party for Saturday, Oct. 21 at the Earth ’n’ Sky farm in western Gordon County.

The event is open to the public, as well as school groups, home-schoolers and others interested in astronomy, said Ron Niklasson, a member of NWGAA and owner of Earth ’n’ Sky farm.
This year’s event will host an Interactive Viewing that challenges visitors to identify the night sky objects found in the eyepiece, Niklasson said.
“We do this as a community service,” Niklasson said. “We have great skies in Northwest Georgia, but a lot of people are not aware of that.”
Niklasson said the NWGAA started out as a chat group on Yahoo.com but grew into a larger organization.
“We started getting together and putting some telescopes up,” he said. “Now we have 45 or 50 members scattered from Chattanooga to Roswell.”
The NWGAA is an informal group with no dues that serves Calhoun Cartersville, Rome, Adairsville, Dalton, Rockmart, Cedartown, Summerville and surrounding areas but members are welcome from anywhere.
According to Niklasson:
On the night of the Star Party, around 6:45 p.m., visitors will be able walk around the field, meet the astronomers, and get a good daylight view of the equipment. There will be an astronomer at every scope to answer questions.
After twilight, the interactive viewing begins. Each visitor will be provided a printed guide, and have the opportunity to identify the night sky objects being viewed.
Interactive viewing will continue until 10 p.m., and each astronomer will have a unique type of night sky object in the eyepiece to view and identify.
The view in each telescope will change about every 20 minutes.
After 10 p.m. the astronomers will select their favorite night sky objects for viewing.
“Anyone with an interest in any aspect of astronomy is welcome and belongs,” he said. You don’t have to live in this area to join and you certainly don’t have to own a telescope either.
For directions to Earth ’n’ Sky farm, e-mail NWGAAA at starpartyinfo AT nwgaa.org.
Viewing sites are selected from around Northwest Georgia. Group viewing sessions are scheduled every month on the Saturday closest to the new moon.
Meetings are currently scheduled two hours before sunset on the day of the group viewing sessions.
The NWGAA members also make presentations for local schools and other interested groups.
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky