homestead - Re: [Homestead] processors and buying a new computer

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] processors and buying a new computer
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:04:27 -0400

My motto is always buy as much RAM and memory as you can afford. So
far, it's been a smart way to go.

I agree with Marie on RAM. 1gig of RAM is a good number. A lot of the
computers on the market don't have that much. I also should say I am
partial to Dell if the computer is not locally put together.

If you are planning on any flight simulation software or gaming, get
an upgraded video card. Anything you buy is going to be a huge
upgrade. It also is going to be "yesterdays news" soon after you buy
it.

You are right about your internet connection. Rural connections are
slow unless you use satelite and that is pricey. Your web page will
load just a slowly, but the browser window will pop up fast!

Rob

Rob - Va