homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:27:18 -0400

Here in the Southeast, where pine forests are many and annual
precipitation, mostly rain, is about 50 inches, our carrying capacity, as
stated by the Clemson Extension Service, the FDA, and the Soil and Water
Conservation folks (whatever their name is now) is 3.5 animal units to the
acre.

When we looked into buying land in Montana, around Lake Flathead,
specifically in the Poulson area, we were told that the annual rainfall was
12 inches and the carrying capacity was 3 acres to the animal unit.

In other words, we needed almost 10 times the land we have here to carry
the same number of animals. So regional/climate differences can be
enormous.