homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gardening as Antidote to World Conditions.

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gardening as Antidote to World Conditions.
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:43:39 -0400

Years ago, I bought a "come on" package from Park Seed. I threw in about 6
garlics in the order. I believe it was egyptian garlic but could have been
multiplying or elephant, just don't remember.

Planted them in a row in our mostly clay soil garden.

Then we bought the neighboring farm; the old people moved out when they
could no longer housekeep and we checked out their house garden. More
garlic, of unknown species. We dug that up and moved it to our house.

Every year, we dig up a couple of bulbs to eat right away but the rest just
keep reproducing. One year, I dug them all up to completely till the garden
and put the bulbs in plastic pots until they were replanted. I don't think
they ever got replanted. The pots keep filling up every year with beautiful
garlic leaves and I think...this year, I'll plant them ALL.

We also occasionally harvest the "wild onions" which are actually tiny,
highly potent garlic. One of those little pearl bulbs will flavor a large
pot of stew.

Gene -- please describe your "planting board". It sounds like something I
could use. How do you use it? How do you make it?