homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic planting board

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic planting board
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:02:33 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:
I prepare the soil, then lay the board down and step on
it to push the dowels into the soil. Voila, the planting holes. You could use a two-by instead of two one-bys, but it needs to be strong
enough to take your weight when you stomp on it.

So, you don't use this in a raised bed? I guess in a raised bed you
wouldn't need to step on it, just press it into the soil? Or maybe the
length of the board disperses the weight so there is no compaction?
I just don't walk on my beds-too afraid of soil compression. Of course,
now I have those monster sized raised beds.
Now, when I made the beds and loaded the beds with hay and sticks, I did
jump up and down to compress that, but now there is no need to walk on
my beds since it has mostly composted in place.
I've never used a planting board. That definitely would make the job
easier/faster, I think. I just have a narrow, like 1.5 inch wide,
trowel/shovel that I stick into the soil and create a wedge like hole to
plant my garlic cloves. I just guestimate distance and alternate rows.

Bev
--
Bevanron in NW Georgia EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses