homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:47:54 -0700

It is like all the other rules and notices -- don't use the hair dryer in
the shower, don't leave small children unsupervised in a swimming pool,
blah, blah, blah.

My grandmother didn't have a USDA canning book, nor my grandfather's mother
who successfully raised (no one poisoned from canned foods) 18 children.

In the old family house (built in 1870), my cousin still has some of the old
Mason jars and Lightning jars up on a shelf in the kitchen.

I guess generational learning is just about extinct and so is common sense!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Now, I was declared to be Satan Spawn when I brought this up before, but
most
of canning zombies aren't on the list any longer, so it might ("might", I
says) be safe to bring this up again.

The USDA guidelines are safe, but they are an overkill so that some rube
doesn't poison himself.
snip<
James, standing back in case there is another rending of garments and
heaping
of ashes with cries of "you can't deviate from the guideliness ANY ...
your
house will fall down and your daughter will marry a used car salesman!"

Or the even more idiotic response of ....... no ..... got a dinner out
riding
on this one ,,, Denise says no one will say it, but I have confidence, so