homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning

  • From: Viking <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:00:07 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

And get some lpH strips, they aren't very expensive. I got hold of a
calibrated elecronic pH meter (worked in a chemistry lab as well)
and it takes a lot of guesswork out of food preparation.

James, standing back in case there is another rending of garments and
heaping of ashes with cries of "you can't deviate from the
guideliness ANY ... your house will fall down and your daughter will
marry a used car salesman!"

Or the even more idiotic response of ....... no ..... got a dinner
out riding on this one ,,, Denise says no one will say it, but I have
confidence, so ........

Wow James, I concur with you....lol....
I liken the process to any other in that you need to understand the
theory of why something is the way it is. Before you can diagnose a
car's problem, you need to understand how they work. Before you can be
a woodworker, you need to understand the differences in wood. Before
you can, you need to understand the differences in food and the various
processes. Once you understand certain things, and you have some
experience, you can take various shortcuts or options as long as you
keep safety in mind. It's all in the knowing...guessing is no good.
I use my Ball Blue Book as much as anyone, but I do change out
ingredients sometimes, ever mindful that I am potentially risking a pH
change that could lead to spoilage or botullism poisoning, so I have to
check pH and counter that by possibly adding lemon juice or something.
Sometimes, I am actually increasing the acidity, so no worries. You
just have to be careful. pH strips are cheap and are well worth the
piece of mind. I also check pH two different ways as well, just to be sure.
Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W