homestead - Re: [Homestead] Artificial blood...OT

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Artificial blood...OT
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:20:44 -0700

It isn't about not wanting to be guinea pigs. It is about the sneakiness of it all. This isn't Nazi Germany and people shouldn't be used as guinea pigs without their consent. I would think they would have learned their lesson after the testing of Hep B and that should have been sufficient reason to forego ALL unconsented testing. The Hep B vaccine was contaminated and of those that received it, 36% are HIV positive. Not only didn't they know they were a guinea pigs but they weren't told about the contamination either. Thus didn't know they should have been tested for HIV and getting the appropriate treatment until, in many cases, it was too late.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

It's not like human blood -- which when you need it you NEED it -- is
always available and safe (donations are down and even with HIV and
hepatitis testing, you might get a contaminated unit).

Up until I couldn't, I donated as soon as soon as I was able (and I
often got a call if I delayed). Right now I'm taking too many drugs
for hypertension to be acceptable, but I'm working on correcting that
problem. I hope those of you who don't care to be guinea pigs for
artificial blood are giving your own if you can.