homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken moat

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken moat
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:06:44 -0400

Hi Van dell,
I'm sure Gene will elaborate, but basically you create a circuitous run
that surrounds your garden area. The chickens take care of bugs and
undesirable weeds that try to migrate into your garden whilst being
protected from predators by the fences. Gene has written an article for
MEN?/Countryside? that explains it better. Googling "chicken moat"
should bring it up.

Bev

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

Every time I hear the term "chicken tractor" I have a vision of a
tractor powered by chickens in a treadmill.

Seriously I haven't encountered the term "chicken moat" before. I
think I now have an idea what it looks like but could someone clarify
how it works?