homestead - Re: [Homestead] They are sooooo cute

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] They are sooooo cute
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:51:58 -0400

Thanks for the advice, Lynn and Lisa.
As of a few minutes ago, they are doing well and have already imprinted
to Ms. Rock, She has them cruising around inside the chicken tractor
already showing them how to forage. :)
When I opened the door, she moved away and her brood scurried with her
and under her. It looks like she still has some instinctual maternal
drive, so I am happy.
I mixed some egg with some layer mash and wet it and put it in the
chicken tractor for the little guys. I gave Ms. Rock some regular
pellets, and of course, the tractor is on grass at present. I pulled up
a head of cabbage that will never finish heading in this heat, and I
pinched off some lettuce leaves and put those in the tractor as well.
With the plastic on the sides, there is a greenhouse effect going on in
there, and it is warmer than the outside air. It does have ventilation,
so it shouldn't get over 105 or so anyway, even with the additional
heat. I know chicks need about 95 degrees, but they see happy and fine
right now. Our daytime temps have been around 90-it's 87 now- and
nighttime lows have been around 65. I am hoping that Ms. Rock will keep
them warm tonight. In a week or so, I guess I will pull the plastic off
the sides of the chicken tractor. It needed to be replaced anyway.
It's my new "brood box/pen".
Feeling a bit like a mother hen myself,

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W