homestead - [Homestead] Chicken tractor

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Chicken tractor
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:15:57 -0500

Every time I hear the term "chicken tractor" I have a
vision of a tractor powered by chickens in a
treadmill.

Andy Lee popularized the chicken tractor and he and his lady, Pat Foreman, wrote a book about it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0962464864/qid=1149945153/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-6334569-4165457?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Many homesteaders and chicken raisers, including Joel Salatin, have found the chicken tractor a way to protect chickens while having them on fresh grass. In its simplest mode it is just a low box frame covered with poultry mesh that gets moved around in the pasture.