homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken tractor

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken tractor
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 09:27:59 -0700

At 6/10/2006 06:15 AM,Gene GeRue wrote:

>Every time I hear the term "chicken tractor" I have a
>vision of a tractor powered by chickens in a
>treadmill.
Many homesteaders and chicken raisers, including Joel Salatin, have
found the chicken tractor a way to protect chickens while having them
on fresh grass. In its simplest mode it is just a low box frame
covered with poultry mesh that gets moved around in the pasture.

With the "chicken tractor" name I thought of it as using the chickens to plow up an area. Not that they really plow it up but they do scratch the surface really well.

My only problems were when I made the chicken tractor too big or put too many in a smaller one. My chicken tractors were built to be moved by hand and were as Gene mentioned a low box frame affair.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA