homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken tractor

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken tractor
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 11:54:38 -0500

My only problems were when I made the chicken tractor too big or put
too many in a smaller one. My chicken tractors were built to be moved
by hand and were as Gene mentioned a low box frame affair.

Some chicken tractors are pretty big and pretty elaborate, more like moveable chicken houses. If I were to make another I might try one framed of steel. An old trailer frame might be faster and less expensive than one built from scratch out of angle iron. I would make it braced strong enough that it could be moved with a riding mower, tractor or pickup truck.

One of the challenges here in the Ozarks is that the land is rarely flat. So no matter where it is placed, the bottom of the pen usually has gaps where a snake, weasel or mink would have no trouble sliding in for a meal.

Coons here are the biggest challenge. I once killed a coon that was trying to pull a pullet through the wire. More hassle, but a double-walled design might stop them from reaching in and grabbing a frenzied bird.