homestead - Re: [Homestead] We could have told them that

  • From: Magnus <stinkfart AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We could have told them that
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:56:06 -0500

Overcrowding.

I spent a few years living out in the unincorporated parts of Orange County,
North Carolina. Bliss.

Now living on a busy boulevard in Philadelphia, moved here under some
duress, and it messes with my head. No yard. No grass whatsoever. Right
now the next door neighbor has his very bad band practicing on the other
side of my living room wall, and it sounds terrible. Less than 25 feet from
my left ear, Harley Davidsons are flaunting their overly loud exhaust pipes
and ambulances are in a terrible rush to get to the hospital that is a
couple of miles up the road from me, with their sirens screaming. People
staggering home from the pubs at night stop at my front stoop, vomit in my
flowerpots or right on the steps, leave their trash behind from the Dunkin
Donuts across the street, and sometimes carry on so loudly that they wake
the kids up. Speaking of the flowerpots, I've given up on that; everytime I
get something worthwhile growing in them, someone just picks them up and
walks away. I had some great tomato plants going that walked away like
this.

The first week I lived here, there was a naked man standing in front of my
home chasing people around while he was... ermmm... "self stimulating".
Never a dull moment. It didn't even make the papers or the news here.

In less than a month I'll be back in the old north state, and before
summer's end construction on my new home will be complete and I'll be living
on my 36 acre woodlot. I can't wait.