homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ferrocrete walls

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ferrocrete walls
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:34:51 -0600

I am thinking that it will be easier to lay out the chicken wire then do
the rebar then the next two layers. There will be little room behind for
someone to hold a board so I was thinking of using the soil behind as a
backer.

Use the soil behind as a surface against which to brace. Loose pieces of poultry mesh quickly become ungainly. If a wall is, say, two feet high, buy four-foot poultry mesh, fold it in two the long way out where you have space to work comfortably. Then drop the folded wire over the top horizontal rebar. After wiring everything together--by far the most tedious part of the job--brace the plywood against the back wall of dirt with any sticks, boards, one-bys or two-bys handy. You don't need a second person, then, to apply the mortar.