homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ferrocrete walls

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ferrocrete walls
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:46:15 -0600

Description of how you did yours. I have done some research and have a
good idea on what to do.

I used a pick to design the curves in the dirt, drove rebar posts into shovel-sized holes in the dirt, poured concrete around the posts, the next day fastened a piece of rebar to the top of the posts (easiest if you make the posts too tall, then bend the top end to the horizontal, then wire the long top piece on top of that), folded two pieces of six-foot poultry mesh in half on the ground, hung it over the horizontal rebar, wired it all together and mortared it. The first mortar is most easily applied against plywood braced against the back; the next morning the whole construction will be stiff enough to apply a coat on the other side with no bracing. Then another coat on the front, then a finish coat that has concrete colorant added. Smooth-shape the top with your hand encased in a plastic glove with an old sock or two over that to protect your hand and the plastic from ripping on any wire or rebar sharps.

If your project is as I suspect a retaining wall, there is the issue of hydrostatic pressure pushing the wall outwards. I've been thinking about the simplest way to resist that pressure in addition to weep holes at the bottom. Rather than an engineered, reinforced footing that extends well under the retained area for the full length of the wall, I will in the future build tip resistance as a tree builds roots: I will dig out "root lines" both into the retained area and out front, place in these little ditches rebar that is bent at a 90, sits on stones in the ditch and is wired to the vertical rebar. Pour concrete into the ditches and around the base of the posts, tamp it into place, then mortar the wall as usual.

The worst part of building ferrocement anything is tying all those little wires together to make the wall as thin as possible. One answer is the metal mesh now used as plaster wall base. I prefer poultry mesh; I think it's stronger. Use the thinnest wire possible for tying. You will develop your own technique. I've even used hog nose clip pliers to push the clips through and close them, but that is much more expensive for a large project and the clips make little bulges in the wall. I've also "sewed" the layers of mesh together; this works best with two people, one on each side. If you discover a better method please tell us.