homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ferrocrete walls

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ferrocrete walls
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:49:31 -0800

Thanks for the response. From that and my research I seem to be getting the idea. Here are my first thoughts.

The angle of repose of the existing slope varies between 45 and 50 degrees and is 4' at the highest point. Code does not require heavy footing or permits for a wall 3' or less. Existing drainage carries water away from the top of the slope. The completed wall will be about 18" - 24" from the existing slope top. A drain tube will be placed at the bottom of the new wall.

The slope will be cut back to about the final grade so will act as a form for the back of the wall. The slope will be cut back in a series of gentle curves with seats placed about 10' apart. A footing will be along the bottom of the wall with a single rebar the length. From your email I am thinking of the concrete embedded rebar posts. Two layers of chicken wire will be laid against the slope. Rebar posts will be bent and tied to the footing rebar. Wall height will average less than 2' with a 20' section at 3'. A rebar top rail will be wired in place. A final two layers of chicken wire will be paid in place and concrete pushed into the wire. If I can I will rent a concrete sprayer.

Don Bowen
http://www.braingarage.com