homestead - Re: [Homestead] Transitioning

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Transitioning
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:45:15 -0700

At 9/9/2005 07:02 AM, you wrote:
You can plug in an electric baseboard unit to pass inspection, that can
be your main source of heat even though you and I know the woodstove
will be the main source. Around here that is done all the time, in
fact, people often then box up the baseboard unit and take it back to
the store. You didn't hear it from me.

I bought and wired in a 220v 6' long heater at our place in Minnesota. We didn't use it often but when the propane was really low (before we had the wood burner...). As a plus it could be used if you were going to be away to help protect the plumbing.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington, USA

Some of the best homestead advice:

Find the best place for the garden. Build the garden and plant fruit trees
first, then build a shop, then build the house so the garden is near the
kitchen door. All other considerations are of lesser importance than food
production. Next in importance is water, but pipe laying is cheaper than
soil and sun moving. Pump from the best water source to a tank on hill
above the house. Side tap into the pipe for household and garden water.
-Gene GeRue

I'd add a road or someplace to park (before spring arrives) to this list, .