homestead - Re: [Homestead] About to move again

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] About to move again
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:22:16 -0500

<<I also found a place in Ft Madison that may have a part I need for a tool
so that seems to have solidified my route.>>

If you do get to Keokuk, the other local wonder is their water purification
plant, situated a few yards west of the Mississippi River locks. I wrote the
competition entry that won an Engineering Excellence award for the
engineering firm that did the work. It really is an amazing plant. It takes
in river water and produces water that is not only drinkable, but devoid of
fish, algae, and whatever-else-is-in-the river smells.

I went to the grand opening of the plant. The single thing that impressed me
most is that the muddy river I knew as a teenager has cleared substantially
as a result of no-till farming. When I was in high school, if you waded a
foot or two into the river, you couldn't see your feet. Now, the river is
clear; the intake vessel at the water plant is so clear that you can see to
the bottom of it. The change is nearly unbelievable to me.

Some things really are getting better.

Marie