homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading and controls on freedoms

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading and controls on freedoms
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:29:27 -0600

At 09:57 AM 7/14/05 -0700, you wrote:
>***I don't have any hope that we will ever have more freedom short of a
>revolution. History shows that it doesn't happen. History shows that we
>only loose more and more freedoms. So we have choosen to live in a spot
>with as much freedom as possible and an area that allows us to ignore a good
>many of the more intrusive "laws" that effect most folks.

I agree. However, I am thinking that one way to help make the freedoms
that you have last a bit longer is to be part of the system: be on the city
council, school board, etc. etc. I have watched our new city council over
the past two years as I have gone to the meetings and have seen a change
for good. It has created a real schism at times, having the city manager
quit a year ago and the Mayor resign a couple of months ago, but the men in
their have really attempted to keep the state and federal control at bay.
They have demanded that the rule of law be kept when some have used the
rule of man (I have heard that is the reason the Mayor resigned-he made a
deal with a contractor which went against the zoning laws).

But eventually tyranny gets overturned.

There is a wonderful quote by Winston Churchhill that I read a few years
ago and keep in mind always:
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without
bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too
costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the
odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may be
even a worse fate. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory,
because it is better to perish than live as slaves."