homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading and controls on freedoms

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading and controls on freedoms
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:20:31 -0600

At 02:32 PM 7/10/05 EDT, James wrote:
>So I'd say that's quite right. Homesteading is a partial answer to the goal
>of personal freedom. And it's also only "an" answer. There are others.
And
>the maximum freedom is realized when we embrace what freedom we can when we
>can rather than waiting for that fantastic moment when we have every detail
>worked out to be utterly free. It never happens. And who'd want it if it
did
>happen.

I would. But that is another point...I was simply born too late.

It is a partial answer, and the only one that we can take responsibility
for for ourselves, and the only one that we can do alone.

However, it sure would be nice to know that your fertile fields won't end
up a Wal-Mart when the city expands to the country and the rest of the city
thinks that eminent domain on your land sounds like a great idea.

It sure would be nice to know that once your homestead is bought and paid
for that it is yours and yours alone. As it is, you simply rent from the
State...if you don't believe it just forget/refuse to pay property taxes.

It sure would be nice to know that you could defend your homestead against
squatters and thieves, especially if they mean to harm you. As it is, if
you defend yourself and kill the intruder, even if they meant to kill you
first, you may go to prison...especially if you used a gun for defense.

It sure would be nice to know that you can put up a barn, house, shed, or
anything else you'd like to build without getting a permit to do it!

It sure would be nice to know that you could sell your raw milk or freshly
baked goods for a profit. As it is you have to jump through hoops and get
yet another permit to do it!

Homesteading allows one to separate themselves a bit from the intrusive
government that we have, and it is probably the best answer out there. But
as for the question of who'd like to "have every detail worked out to be
utterly free", I can honestly say that I would.

Best wishes,
Melody