homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading and controls on freedoms

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading and controls on freedoms
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:57:52 -0700

From: Melody O. <melody AT crecon.com>

> I'm not sure that is true for all parts of the nation. In my neck of the
> woods, Santaquin was an itty-bitty town that no one except farmers wanted
> to live in; Provo was 30 minutes away, and no one thought that the city
> spread would ever extend this far. Two years ago an individual in my town
> who owned an orchard was given grief because he wouldn't sell his land for
> a potential Wal-Mart. Payson got the WalMart instead. These towns are
> little, not big at all. Payson has two stoplights, Santaquin none.
>
> I just don't rest comfortably knowing that the SC has ruled that the
> community is more important than the individual, so an individuals land
may
> be taken at the communities will.

***Then you make better, more informed choices. Use probability charts
which is what we did. We researched this area, the growth in this area, the
growth in the whole county, access (minimal) and so forth and so on. It
wasn't just stoplights (we don't have any OR any stop signs, nor does the
only "city" in this county), it was potential no matter how remote.

> Perhaps, but not all of us can move to the Ozarks or would prefer to live
> in Pheonix. It is wonderful for those who are your neighbors.
>
> I understand that you mean that if we want freedom we should move to a
more
> free place...it is nice in theory. We lived that way, to an extent, in
> Kentucky. But nowhere in this nation can you be truly free legally.
>
> The SC just ruled that for any reason your propery could be taken if it is
> better for the community at large.
>
> No matter where you live you must pay property taxes or be evicted by the
> State, even if you own your property outright.
>
> And the list of intrusions go on and on...no matter where you live.

***But you make the choices depending on how many intrusions you are willing
to have in your life. You make choices. If your choice is more intrusions
vs. other factors then that is a choice you have made. We made the choice
to have as little intrusion as possible and thus also made the choice to put
up with long travel times to get some of the more mainstream things when and
IF we want or need them.

> Forever.
>
> I will do what I can with what I have. I don't sit and pine my days away
> waiting for the perfect day of freedom. But I also will never say, "This
> is the way it is, and this is the way it will stay" because nothing ever
> stays the same and I will do all I can within my power to help the change
> be for freedom.

***I don't have any hope that we will ever have more freedom short of a
revolution. History shows that it doesn't happen. History shows that we
only loose more and more freedoms. So we have choosen to live in a spot
with as much freedom as possible and an area that allows us to ignore a good
many of the more intrusive "laws" that effect most folks.

In the end, it is all about choices.