homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading and controls on freedoms

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading and controls on freedoms
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:19:01 -0600

At 07:33 AM 7/14/05 -0700, you wrote:

>>However, it sure would be nice to know that your fertile fields won't end
>>up a Wal-Mart when the city expands to the country and the rest of the city
>>thinks that eminent domain on your land sounds like a great idea.
>
>If you choose land carefully that will never happen. And I know how large a
>word never is.

I'm not sure that is true for all parts of the nation. In my neck of the
woods, Santaquin was an itty-bitty town that no one except farmers wanted
to live in; Provo was 30 minutes away, and no one thought that the city
spread would ever extend this far. Two years ago an individual in my town
who owned an orchard was given grief because he wouldn't sell his land for
a potential Wal-Mart. Payson got the WalMart instead. These towns are
little, not big at all. Payson has two stoplights, Santaquin none.

I just don't rest comfortably knowing that the SC has ruled that the
community is more important than the individual, so an individuals land may
be taken at the communities will.

>>As it is, if
>>you defend yourself and kill the intruder, even if they meant to kill you
>>first, you may go to prison...especially if you used a gun for defense.
>
>In our county, the judge says different.

Perhaps, but not all of us can move to the Ozarks or would prefer to live
in Pheonix. It is wonderful for those who are your neighbors.

I understand that you mean that if we want freedom we should move to a more
free place...it is nice in theory. We lived that way, to an extent, in
Kentucky. But nowhere in this nation can you be truly free legally.

The SC just ruled that for any reason your propery could be taken if it is
better for the community at large.

No matter where you live you must pay property taxes or be evicted by the
State, even if you own your property outright.

And the list of intrusions go on and on...no matter where you live.

>>Homesteading allows one to separate themselves a bit from the intrusive
>>government that we have, and it is probably the best answer out there. But
>>as for the question of who'd like to "have every detail worked out to be
>>utterly free", I can honestly say that I would.

>How long will you wait for the impossible dream?

Forever.

I will do what I can with what I have. I don't sit and pine my days away
waiting for the perfect day of freedom. But I also will never say, "This
is the way it is, and this is the way it will stay" because nothing ever
stays the same and I will do all I can within my power to help the change
be for freedom.

Best wishes,
Melody