homestead - Re: [Homestead] Home location, was water power

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Home location, was water power
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:32:02 -0700

The land we bought is on 3 levels. The house is on the top level. We've
put the orchard on the sloop from the top level going down to the second
level. The horse barn is on the second level. The two creeks are at the
bottom where about half the land is.

We've been told, and have now experienced, that being somewhat higher where
there is cold weather is better than being at the bottom. Seems the cold
"rolls" down the hills and settles in the valleys and the growing period is
a month to 6 weeks shorter in the valleys around here.

We've had our garden in about 3 weeks now (other than peas and things like
that which went in some time ago) but the folks who live directly across the
creek from us had their last frost last weekend and are just now getting
their garden in.

The pasture up by the house needs to be mowed and the pasture down by the
creek is just now going into a growing spurt.

We've been given congrats by the old folks in town for being smart enough to
buy this piece of land and not buying the other piece we looked at. Purely
by accident but guess DH's gut feeling this "this is the one" was right.
Sheesh, I hate having to admit he is right <g>

Lynda