homestead - Re: [Homestead] water power was: oil-poor world

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] water power was: oil-poor world
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:09:03 -0700

At 6/2/2005 07:52 PM, you wrote:
In a message dated 6/2/2005 10:37:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
becida AT comcast.net writes:

> I was thinking about James's water power calculations and his comments on
> voltage drop and such.
> If you had the height to give the water enough head you could pipe it to
> where you needed the power. Open the valve and let the water go thru a
> convergent duct, the pressure could (I'm sure) be rigged to turn an
> automotive alternator. From there thru an inverter and you should have the
> power to run your planer. When you are done close the valve.

Alas, the workshop and house are 75 feet higher than the streams.

James

Could a ram pump pump water to above the workshop?
I guess I should ask if there is any place above the workshop you could store water <g>? Be a drag to have to build a tower to hold a water tank... A 12' ft diameter swimming pool holds 'about' 1200 gallons. At around 8 lbs a gallon that's a good bit of weight.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA