homestead - RE: [Homestead] Working wood by hand

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: fenga AT astechman.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Working wood by hand
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:22:32 -0700

At 6/2/2005, you wrote:
If you are interested in the Viking woodworking techniques, then maybe you
would be interested in some Viking tools to go along with them.

You can find them at:

I have the book on the Mastermeyr find. It is fascinating reading and the drawings are fabulous. The book is an archeological paper on the chest and its contents..

The Mastermyr find is a 9th century tool box found in a Swedish farm field in Gotland in the 30s. It is a complete tool box with metal, woodworking, and jewelry tools. There are cooking pots and scrap iron in the mostly complete wooden chest. Conjecture is that it is a tool box from a Viking age farm or was owned by a tool salesman. The area where it was found was under water a thousand years ago and it is thought that the tool box fell overboard, possibly in a storm which are frequent in the area.

Several people have duplicated the tools and the chest because the book has very complete drawings with measurements. The chest and its contents are currently in a Swedish museum.

http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html
http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up

My travel journal

My present location is the star on the map in the link below
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=33.506083&longitude=-117.099019