homestead - Re: [Homestead] How Societies Choose ....

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How Societies Choose ....
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 21:26:35 EDT

> absolutely believe that individuals should do all they can to provide
> themselves with the things they need for survival. I am even more sure that
> if we do it alone we will surely perish.

That's interesting. I am sure of just the opposite. Unless we do it alone,
we will suely perish. This is because our mutual codependency is like a
chain
only as strong as its weakest links. The only real codependency is among
individuals (or famiilies or groups) capable of going it by their own
strengths
except in that circumstance here and there when they must needs rely on their
neighbors. When you have people in a chronic state of dependency, even
codependency, it is a recipe for personal disaster.

In the book from which the subject line of this thread comes, the author
identified 5 things that brough societies to extinction. One of them was a
reliance on another culture, usually by means of trade, which become
interrupted.
For example, some of the Pacific islands supported stable populations of
traditional Polynesian culture so long as there was a long distance ocean
trade in
tool grade stone which they themselves did not have. When something entirely
outside their influence and not of their own making happened to interrupt
that
trade, their way of life was done away with and in many cases everyone died.

What lends to our survival and prosperity is not to be parasitic nor even
codependent on others, nor government, nor anything, but to be prepared to
lend
aid and equally prepared to accept it if such becomes necessary, and then
only
to the extent and for as long as necessary. Mutually benificial trade at
arm's length is not parasitism nor codependency, but I find on these
discussions
that's rarely what's being refered to.

James