homestead - Re: [Homestead] How Societies Choose ....

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How Societies Choose ....
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 17:29:13 -0700

"Collapse" is not a sky is falling book but rater a very good review of some socities that did fail and why. He is not saying that we are on the verge of collapse but that we need to look at what is going on and make some decisions. A very good book.

I have read and believed such for nearly fifty years beginning with the overstated The Population Bomb, by Paul Ehrlich, when I was in college in the late fifties. Does Jared Diamond show how to get the DC Whorehouse to generate wise decisions? I have lived through hysteria, dire warnings, hyperbole ad nauseum and also intelligent analysis that has gone largely unheeded. What I have not seen is a plan that will cause the people to insist on intelligent planning from our elected officials, who have gathered power unto themselves to the point where it is very hard for the people to effect meaningful change without official "leadership."