homestead - Re: [Homestead] How Societies Choose ....

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How Societies Choose ....
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:11:50 -0500

At 4/2/2005, you wrote:
I have read and believed such for nearly fifty years beginning with the overstated The Population Bomb, by Paul Ehrlich, when I was in college in the late fifties. Does Jared Diamond show how to get the DC Whorehouse to generate wise decisions? I have lived through hysteria, dire warnings, hyperbole ad nauseum and also intelligent analysis that has gone largely unheeded. What I have not seen is a plan that will cause the people to insist on intelligent planning from our elected officials, who have gathered power unto themselves to the point where it is very hard for the people to effect meaningful change without official "leadership."

He does point out that some societies ignored the problem because it would make the rich and powerful lose position or control. He says of the wealthy Greenland Norse that wealth just bought then the chance to be the last to starve. The Easter Islander leaders insisted on more and larger statutes while the very last tree was cut down and the populace later revolted by throwing down the statues in such a way to break them.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
http://www.braingarage.com
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=34.799267&longitude=-91.826393