homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschool ? (was Clan Question

  • From: Kathyann Natkie <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschool ? (was Clan Question
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:37:36 -0500

Correct. My last unschooler "graduated" and is uncolleging now. So I do not technically "homeschool" any more (funny how when we were homeschooling lessons at 3:30p counted but now they don't.) My youngest wants the kind of school we believe should be, so we opened a Public Charter School last September. Thus, I still hang sometimes with my "homeschooling" friends or tutor "homeschoolers" while writing up for the school: students asked not to attend (coded by state as "homeschool"), students doing independent projects at home (coded by state as "homeschool" or "alternate attendance"), and those too ill to attend (coded by state as "homebound.")"Homeschool by school" must take statewide assessments, "homeschool by parents" must not, "homebound" is at our discretion based on child's health. Meanwhile, we (the school) cannot accept part-time "homeschool" students who wish only some of what we offer and whose parents want to retain control. Kinda gives me every "homeschool" in my vocabulary. :)

Kathyann
(course we also have families politically opposed to statewide standardized testing exempting their children from testing)

Lynda wrote:

Kathyann, in NJ if you are using a charter school, you are part of the
public school system, you aren't homeschooling. NJ recognizes public
school, private school and "other equivalent instruction elsewhere than at
school". N.J. Rev. Stat. ยง 18A: 38-25.
Homeschooling comes under the "other."