homestead - Re: [Homestead] Clan Question

  • From: Kathyann Natkie <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Clan Question
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 04:01:20 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
"Homebound" is the term I know for what you describe Kathyann. "Homeschool" has a specific, legal definition. In Tennessee, many who are "homeschoolers" are legally "private schoolers". DCS is Department of Children's Services not the school system.
Oh. Here we have both homebound and homeschool under the schools. If we suspend them they don't fall under homebound (that is for those unable to come to school.) But, if we provide a curriculum, they can be counted as "present" in school so they don't forever repeat grades due to lack of attendance. Their program is considered their homeschool but we provide the schooling. We also use the term for independent study. Our parental education falls under "educated other than at school" but those kids are also called homeschoolers. At state trainings they have to clarify every time. We must test our students on homeschool but are not permitted to test the homeschoolers.

Kathyann, who has learned much with our new Charter School