homestead - Re: [Homestead] Clan Question

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Clan Question
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:26:24 -0500

In South Carolina, when a child cannot attend public school for some
reason, a teacher is employed by the school district to go to the child's
home and teach the same lessons which the children in attendance are
getting. This is termed "homebound".

When a family wishes to teach their child/children (whether sick or not)
themselves, using either a purchased curriculum or one they cobble together
themselves or even pursuing the "unschooling" approach, they CAN either
register with the school system or not.

If the child is registered with the school system, the local district gets
to count attendance toward their allocation from the state. The family
submits a curriculum proposal to the school district on a yearly basis; the
parent doing the majority of the teaching must prove their own education
level exceeds that of the child; the children are tested with a
standardized test on the grade levels where it is required for those in
attendance in the public school. And the school truant officer, or school
psychologist may visit the home and observe the teaching twice a year.

If the family elects not to register with the school district, there are
several "umbrella" schools and organizations such as the South Carolina
Home Educators Association (SCHEA) which have their own requirements and
standards. SCHEA requires participating families to also be members of the
Homeschool Legal Defense Association.

Whether registered or not, the child/children are being taught by their own
parents, most likely in their home, using a curriculum of their own choice
or devising. This is legally termed "homeschooling" by the state
legislature.

Yes, it is regrettable the reporter did not get all the facts or at least
get correctly stated the ones he reported.