homestead - Re: [Homestead] homesteading stuff

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] homesteading stuff
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:08:36 -0700

At 08:28 AM 2/21/05 -0700, you wrote:

>>I think all of us are tired of winter and are looking forward to spring.
>
>I will presume that you do not want to hear about the tomatoes we ate all
>winter, with a flush of them right now.
>
>I've never before got tomatoes through a winter, so I don't know how
>productive they will be in their second year. So I planted two new ones
>yesterday.

I am very *glad* <forced smile> for you Gene. LOL No really, that is
great, congratulations!

You'll have to let us know if it keeps growing in its second year. I had
planted a cherry tomato plant in a pot last spring and was going to bring
it inside before it frosted...but I forgot about it. :-( I was going to
experiment with growing it indoors winter-long with grow lights and/or
close to a south facing window.

At some point I'd like to have a greenhouse or such and keep at least
*something* edible growing year round. It seems to be good for the soul to
see plants growing.

As it is, I am only growing non-edibles....I have a mini-iris plant that a
friend gave me for my b-day that is growing in my living room, and a
phyllodendron that is growing in my kitchen. At least they "help the flow
of beneficial energy" according to feng shui.

According to http://www.flowers.org.uk/flowers/trivia/feng-shui.htm
"Living flowers and plants play a big part in harnessing or altering this
beneficial energy, or chi. The Flowers & Plants Association has the
following suggestions to improve your surroundings with flowers and plants
by these methods....Green is the colour of growth. Green plants reflect
peace and harmony and will ease troubled minds. They alleviate all stress,
and represent balance, harmony and peace."

So there you have it! If you aren't as fortunate as Gene to be able to
grow delicious tomato plants all year round, at least keep an inside flower
or plant to help keep your spirits up.

Perhaps until I can do tomatoes in a greenhouse I could try lettuce in a
pot with grow lights......

Best wishes,
Melody