homestead - Re: [Homestead] And weird tree, was homesteading stuff

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] And weird tree, was homesteading stuff
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:36:22 -0700

O.K., speaking of trees, we have a REALLY weird one on the front 3 acres. It looks like an old white oak. Has a couple of branches up towards the top that look like white oak. The bark looks like white oak. However, it has a bunch of sucker type growth at the base and in bunches hither and yon up the trunk that look like someone crossed a coast oak with a holly tree. Real spiney, pokey nasty leaves! Anyone know what the heck this thing is?

It is a really, really naughty oak tree that has had relations with many cousins.

A few years ago I finally, with a big sigh, cut down a tall oak in the Heartwood front yard that was, well, ugly. It's primary value was that the pileated woodpeckers used it as a demonstration venue, providing much porch entertainment. It was impossible to determine its genetic structure, beyond quercus. Had characteristics of several oaks. Interbreeding does stuff like that. Positively shameful.

I shaped the bottom five feet into a throne, on which I sit and contemplate the old shack and woods beyond. My kingdom.