homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pruning fruit trees

  • From: Lisa Perry <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pruning fruit trees
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:09:41 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

I just checked Gene Logsdon's ORGANIC ORCHARDING. Boy, do I love having my books back on shelves! After he gives the varying orchardist's opinions, he ends with, "Or you can, without too much fear, follow the old orchardists' wry advice: Prune when your pruning knife is sharp."

I need to get that book. Love the comment.
My personal experience is that modern trees are so vigorous in growth, and likely I feed and water them too much, that pruning needs to be done on a year-round basis or they become unmanageable.

We usually prune some at the end of summer and then again in winter, but this past summer/fall we were too involved with our house addition & partial remodel to get anything else done. So the trees haven't been pruned for one full year. Maybe at the very least we could get the watersprouts pruned. Some of those watersprouts off the old Stayman Winesap tree will make excellent material for a waddle fence or twig furniture project---when I have more time for such things.

Lisa