homestead - Re: [Homestead] Retirement planning, was Saving for a Rainy Quarter Century

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Retirement planning, was Saving for a Rainy Quarter Century
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:53:46 -0800

At 12/17/2004, you wrote:
How are you planning for your retirement years?

I have been thinking about it for several years. I had been building my supply of projects, tools, and materials. I had planned on several more years of work to fill things out. After retirement I planned to generate a little extra income by doing home repair and woodworking. The base income was to be SSI and a modest 401(k). Well as they say about the best laid plans of mice and men. Suddenly I was not hireable and I rode two companies into the ground. In the end my planned 10 more years of working suddenly went to 0.

I am now semi retired trying to eek out some money with home repair and woodworking. I cannot touch the 401 for another year or so and SSI is a minimum of about 4 years away. So much for those plans so I changed. The house is for sale and I will take a small chunk to live on for the next year. In the end I figure that I will have half the anticipated income.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com