homestead - Re: [Homestead] Retirement planning, was Saving for a Rainy Quarter Century

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Retirement planning, was Saving for a Rainy Quarter Century
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:01:32 -0700

. Their number is $960.

That seems very high. Does it include health insurance premiums?

I have somehow mislaid their list. I have asked that they send it again. I will report when it gets here.

We did the same sort of analysis and in deadly earnest. When we include utilities, taxes, internet hookup, house insurance, life insurance, dental visits for the children, car insurance, tags, and every other fixed cost we could find and then included some cost for such things as salt, coffee, tea, and things we cannot in any wise grow ourselves ... the total comes to about $290 a month.

I am impressed and I commend you and your family for the achievement.

How are you planning for your retirement years?

By not retiring, at least in the usual sense. By finding things to do that will earn a little income but not be utterly dependent on our circumstances. And to keep the part of our lives where we can earn nothing very short.

That has always been my general plan. Now, I find I want to be selfish, follow my bliss, be true to myself. That means designing and building, making furniture, creating landscape beauty as I envision it. Nothing is so certain as change, so I may find a different path evolving after a year or three of going with my flow. I get much satisfaction from helping others, so I will probably write the fourth edition of Country Home one day. By self-publishing and not spending money on typical promotion, there is the chance for modest income.