homestead - [Homestead] Retirement planning, was Saving for a Rainy Quarter Century

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Retirement planning, was Saving for a Rainy Quarter Century
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:30:05 -0700

The case for gold is the case for capital preservation
and wealth transfer to heirs in an era of inflation. You
had better own gold in your golden years.

For homesteaders, land is gold. But it's not enough to live on, usually. I am probably in my last year of "productively working" in our economic system, so I am thinking about the things the article covered.

I recently asked friends who live much like we intend to live--a couple who live frugally and carefully, who have zero debt, who have a big garden each year, can or freeze lots of their food, use a hoop house to help feed them through the winter, who keep chickens, who heat with wood they cut from their woods, who drive a modest compact pickup truck, who live in our area of very low property taxes, who keep very careful records of every expenditure, who have the most detailed budget--how much cash they need each month for those things that only cash can cover. Their number is $960.

How are you planning for your retirement years?