homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spam - one good solution that I can't use

  • From: steve oliphant <steveo AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spam - one good solution that I can't use
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:48:31 -0700

This is a really big problem. I have had my email address posted on my website since 1995. It must be in every spammers database out there. I get literally thousands of spam messages a day.

Because potential new clients contact me via email, I can't use the very best method, which is to:
1. filter mail from mailing lists (like this one) into their own folders
2. let my contacts know that to get hold of me, they have to add a nonsense word to the subject line - like "vanillasauce" - and then filter all emails with that in the subject line into my keep folder, and then:
3. delete everything else.

but instead, I am using thunderbird's junkmail option, multiple (20+) filters, and spending way too much time going through my email.

hmmm - after reading this, I see that I could use this. I would just need to let people know my nonsense word on the website amd anwhere I have my email address listed. Like on a business card. I can see it now:

Email: steveo AT crecon.com (please add the word 'vanillasauce' to the subject line to get through my spam filters)

If I can get that to fit on a business card.

Ok, I now remember why I haven't done this yet.

-Steve