homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spam

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spam
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:34:15 -0800

At 12/15/2004, you wrote:

How about one of you super programmers/hacker wannabes writing a program that destroys computers that send spam? I give you the idea free of charge. Tell Bill I sent you.

There are groups of people trying to find out who the spammers are just so they can send email bombs. That is one reason for the proliferation of worms that hijack computers to send spam.

One of my favorites was a web that generated thousands of bogus email addresses. You put a link on your page then when the email harvesters came calling they linked to this site. It was only a little annoyance to the spammers but it did make some feel better. Besides the harvester bots had to be changed to allow for this.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com