homestead - Re: [Homestead] 4 years later ...

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 4 years later ...
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:47:57 -0700

Less hope after election
The dollar is now down about 50% against the euro since October 2000 and recently hit its lowest level since 1995 against a basket of foreign currencies.

And the price of gold is at 16 year highs at around $450.

Hey, here's an idea! Let's live the homestead life and be as insulated as possible from the rest of the world's problems.

Which of course brings us back to the need for reliable cash to pay those unreasonable people who only take cash, check or credit card, like the tax person, the car registration and insurance persons, the seller of those many items we can't produce for ourselves, etc. I am still open to new suggestions.