homestead - [Homestead] Paying for health care (was soy)

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Paying for health care (was soy)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:02:54 -0600

James writes:

<<Compare the statistics of how much good it does you to have the latest and

best medical intervention in case of a catastrophic disease and how much you

stack the odds of not getting the disease in the first place by diet,
exercise, and avoiding stress and worry ....>>

OTOH, I come from a long-lived family that stays pretty healthy to advanced
old age. Folks like us can still have accidents. In my case, it was sliding
in the mud and tripping over a bunch of stupid chickens that I had just
moved to the chicken house and who had huddled outside to die rather than go
in out of the rain.

Okay, okay, I should have left 'em to fend for themselves, but I managed to
slip in the mud, dislocate my shoulder, and rip most of the tendons of my
rotator cuff. I'm grateful I had insurance to cover the $15,000+ the surgery
and subsequent therapy that was needed to get me back to normal, more or
less.

I'm not a particularly careless or clumsy person... I'm grateful though that
I'm not still making payments on my arm.

Yes, if we'd never had health care (and lots of other things that accompany
our present culture, health care might still be cheap. That's a lot of ifs,
though.

Marie