homestead - RE: [Homestead] Soy

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Soy
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:13:58 -0600

James grows some soybeans:

<< Enough for edamame and a few other purposes, but not nearly enough for
all the tofu & tempeh for a household. Now that I've some more skill in
growing them in a non-agribusiness way, I think I could and have given it a
lot of thought.>>

Have you figured out a way to de-hull them easily?

How many bushels do you estimate you'd need per person per year?

I've found tofu made from regular commercial soybeans to be okay -- though
maybe not as delicate as beans raised specifically for human consumption as
tofu and related products.

Marie