homestead - RE: [Homestead] Wrong Answer, was Who started this ChristmasThing?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: fenga AT astechman.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Wrong Answer, was Who started this ChristmasThing?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:18:15 -0700

Fred: I am not a Xtian. I celebrate Jul as did my ancestors for the last 6,000 years. You do your thing and I will do mine

Yeah, I agree, that is the civilized, the humane attitude. What's the point of deriding, of taking something away from someone who needs it? What's the harm done? We all come from different places, have different experiences, find truth to be unique to us.

Much of the mellowness that urges that position comes from my relationship with my mother. Until I joined the army and began reading philosophy, she strongly directed my reluctant and ignorant religiosity [yeah, I know that's not a word]. After fifty years of arguing, debating, frustrating and no doubt hurting her, I have come to the place where I think, at 91 years of age in a couple weeks, she deserves some peace from my truths.

Where I do draw a line is at respect. I respect others' rights to their views and I demand respect for mine, no matter how stupid I think they are or how pitiful and lost they think I am. With Mom, I have come to finally give more slack, but that is the only exception.