homestead - Re: [Homestead] ... books ....

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ... books ....
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:59:14 -0700

People mention books over and over -
seems like I'm the only one who goes
to the *library* - homesteaders, if you
don't patronize your library system/branch,
it will be taken away from you ...

Well, I have huge applause for Mr. Carnegie's efforts but I make no apology for the fact that I love books, I love owning books, I have a large personal library, and I plan to keep adding to it as long as I live. When I stop enjoying life and make my final plans, I will likely give all my books to a library. In the meantime, as a writer, I value being able to walk across the room and verify a fact. As a gardener, I value being able to quickly look up the answer to a pH or drainage question. As a designer I value being able to flip through books heavy with photos, pictures, drawings. As a homesteader, I value being able to weigh an idea by quickly reminding myself of various alternatives to any idea that pops into my head. Finally, libraries are wonderful, but fewer good books will be researched and written when authors don't have a chance to make a decent living. And when authors stop writing new books, libraries will become museums of old books full of old ideas.