homestead - Re: [Homestead] Christian "peacefulness" ...

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT nationi.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Christian "peacefulness" ...
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:22:42 -0500

Marie asks:
How does the poor pilgrim, looking for a spiritual home, identify the
perverts and distinguish them from the righteous? Is Osama bin Ladin a
pervert, or does he -- as he claims -- hold fast to the basic principles of
Islam? Are Jenkins & LaHaye true Christians, or are they -- in the grand
tradition of end-of-world evangelists -- cynically raking in the dough.

The million dollar question. I pondered this for many years. I attended
many churches; Listened to many sermons; Talked to a lot of "spiritual"
people. Here are some general "guidlines" of how "I" cross organizations
off my list of who to study with:

Listen to their words. If the moral of the sermon is, "Why you should send
me your money," you know that that is the main objective, (most TV
evangelists fall into this category.). Pass.

Look at the wealth garnished on the clergy and remember that it is easier to
pass a camel through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the
gates of heaven.

If your status in the church is dependant on your "donation level" go
elsewhere.

On the subject of money: The church Christ established does not collect
money. When Christ was given money, he gave it back. When his apostles and
disciples were given money, they gave it to poor. I understand that today
it is nearly impossible to maintain a church without some monetary influx,
however I look for what is done with the excess. (i.e. Jim and Tammy's air
conditioned dog house or the purchase of politicians.)

Look at their meeting place. In the years since Christ's departure, many of
the idol worshiping religions gave themselves a makeover with a "Christian"
paintbrush. If the meeting hall is filled with idols they pray at (usually
accompanied with complicated rituals, chants, costumes, and other fanfare
designed to obscure their teachings), go elsewhere.

If they first try to bring you down emotionally so that you are more
vulnerable to their brainwashing, go elsewhere. You have all seen the
brochures that state that you are a worthless creature, unfit to receive the
love of god, and only through the teachings of their church will you be able
to receive gods blessings and eternal salvation. This is a clue to pass.

If they tell you that you don't have to believe right now, but if you attend
their church, they will pray with you and help you to believe. Pass.

If they tell you NOT to read the bible because it is too complicated for the
average person to understand and it will only confuse you, so they will tell
you what it says, Pass.

If they tell you how to vote, Pass.

If they tell you who to marry, Pass.

If they try to isolate you from friends and family by telling you not to
associate with those "sinners". Pass

If they try to isolate your children from those outside the church by
sending them to special schools or encourage homeschooling using their
"Christian" teaching guides. Pass. Don't get me wrong here. There are
many good reasons to homeschool, but homeschooling to isolate your children
from "outside teachings" is not one of them.

If they are obsessed by condemning others (Gays, Jews, Unwed mothers, etc)
and seem to have forgotten to first remove the log from one's own eye before
they attempt to remove the splinter from their neighbor's. Pass

There are more, but I think you can see the trend. Good luck searching.

Wendy